19 November, 2010 20:23

19/11/2010 at 8:23 pm | Posted in Match Reports, Under 12s | Leave a comment

Home Match: 6th November 2010

WPFC Squad: Sam Sweetman, Rohan Montgomery, Edward Murphy, Joseph Tunney, Isiah Gunter, Oli Moir, David Thomas, Elliot Smythe, Edward Eaton Hart, Edward Mundy, Ben Hardy, Rees Deliege, Oliver Collier, Magnus Hitchmough.

Match Result: Westwood Park 10 – Holy Trinity Troopers: 1

Scorers: Edward Mundy 4, Joseph Tunney 2, Ben Hardy 2, Rohan Montgomery 1, Oli Moir 1.

The boys were looking forward to this match as the absence of a Challoners game on Saturday morning meant that the manager could draw on most of his players. It was a cold bright morning and the crowd was wondering whether they would see fireworks.

From kickoff Westwood Park took the game to the opposition and had a number of attacking moves. Within the first five minutes the home team had shot 3 times on goal although none found the net. However within a few minutes Joseph broke through the middle of the opposition’s defence and shot low past the keeper to notch up goal number 1. Within a few minutes another attack from Westwood Park saw Ed Mundy shoot and put the second goal on the scoresheet. A further attack saw Ed score his second goal and took the score to 3-0 with only 13 minutes played. Goal 4 came 5 minutes later with Joseph and Ed playing well together up front and Ed taking his hat trick.

Holy Trinity Troopers made the occasional foray into the home side’s half and a shot just within the box was parried down well by Ben but was put in the net on the rebound. Within 5 minutes the Greens replied again by pouncing on a poor kick by the opposition’s keeper. Joseph took his shot well and scored his second of the match to make the scoreline 5-1 as we went into half time.

With a successful first half behind us, the manager repositioned some of his players and introduced new players on to the pitch. Oliver Collier went in goal and Ben took up the forwards position desperately trying to not find himself off-side! An inspired move by the manager saw Ben break from the halfway line with the ball to slip a goal past the opposition to push the score up to 6-1. A few minutes later a further shot on the opposition goal saw Ben in an excellent position to put in the rebound for his second goal of the morning. A further attack by Westwood Park saw Ed attack the opposition’s goalkeeper with a ‘one on one’ and successfully notching up his 4th goal and the team’s 8th.

Further attacks saw Rohan moving purposefully out of his defensive position and towards the opposition’s goal. An excellent shot hit the post and ended up in the back of the net taking the score to 9-1. Shortly after Oli Moir used his speed to break through the opposition’s defence and an excellent shot past the goalkeeper took Westwood Park ’s score into double figures. Just prior to the final whistle a further shot by Rohan was well saved by the goalkeeper onto the post. This time the net was not found. The final whistle saw the end to a very one sided match but one where all 14 players from Westwood Park succeeded in playing some good passing football. Something that the boys can hopefully continue, even up against a stronger opposition.

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: