Cup QF v Wendover JFC Sunday 22nd January 2012

29/01/2012 at 9:29 pm | Posted in Match Reports, Under 9s | Leave a comment

We arrived at Wendover for our cup quarter final in good time and enjoyed a really good warm up and pre match preparation. Wendover had spent the pre-Christmas part of the season in the division below us but after being unbeaten in the season to date, were promoted to the top division for the second half of the season.

Squad: Luke S, Sachin, Aakash, Akshay, Milan, Guy, Chris M, Aaron

Match 1

This was a really good, tight match between two equally matched teams, both wanting to play neat passing football. On balance we had the majority of the play and it was only late in the game that Chris in goal was called on to make a save. Milan and Akshay proved to be a very solid combination at the back, supported by Luke and Sachin, alternating in the defensive midfield role. Aakash, Aaron and Guy made up the rest of the midfield. Clear cut chances were few and far between; their goalkeeper was still forced into 2 or 3 fine saves but could do nothing to prevent Sachin scoring his second goal of the season. this was a well-deserved but hard earned win against a good side; the referee must have been enjoying it as he played 21 minutes in the second half!!

Match 2

The second Wendover side proved to be very different from the first, playing in a much more physical style. We rarely play well against the more physical teams and this proved to be the case again. Our passing was a bit more laboured, and we resorted to long balls up to Aaron or Aakash too often. Akshay and Milan were the exceptions, still managing to stay cool under pressure. The balance of play was still pretty even and we had a couple of half chances; Luke’s snap shot from Aakash’s fine pass went just wide and we had several corners which fizzed across their goal without anyone getting on the end of them. Wendover scored twice, once in each half and forced Chris into 3 or 4 fine saves and deserved their victory.

Squad Alex W, Rishi Kian Luke B, Chris P, Robert W,Charles, Sam

First game

Our first quarter final and after a good warm up we started the game, but straight away came under intense pressure. The ball was constantly in our half and Alex had to make some really hard saves to keep us in the game. Robert stood firm in defence doing a good job of getting the ball to Sam for a little run but their defence was so solid and even with Charles helping out dribbling through we couldn’t get a clear shot. Before we knew it we conceded a goal followed by another in the same half. Our heads were down and mistakes were being made. So many times we had two players on the ball at the same time and players going down and not getting up quick enough. There was little passing and the game was running away from us. After a stern half time talk they tightened up the game nicely. Robert and Kian were much better in defence and the mid fielders were a lot quicker getting back to help out. The game was still in our half but with good marking from a period of so many corners we did well to hold the score and even managed a few good breaks.

Second game
We started off in a much better frame of mind for this game and straight away we were commanding the game with most of the play in their half. Rishi was fighting fit and doing his job in right back with some great tackles and then getting the ball upfield. Robert Was there to help out in mid defence and soon had the ball up to Charles on the left wing with a great little drive and a nice shot into the bottom left of the goal. It was great to get a leading goal so early and they all looked in much better shape. Christopher did a great job marking their forward and kept him out of the game. We kept the game really tight and Alex Walker made a brilliant save with a flying dive to the left with both hands to push the ball out for a corner. He then made another save pushing it high over the crossbar. Sam and Robert kept pushing the ball up but the pressure kept piling on and it wasn’t long before we conceded a goal to be level for half time.

Luke B came on for Sam and defended really well staying close to their main player. Kian was tested in goal straight away but made a really brave save grabbing the ball on the floor with players and boots all over him. We kept good pressure on and it was real end to end football but just lacked that finishing touch. Charles ran his heart out and Alex and Robert worked hard keeping the ball but we were caught out at the end. We almost got an equaliser and deserved to with so much possession but disappointingly just ran out of time. Really unlucky.

There were no complaints in the second game there was great effort from everyone. Well done boys.

We’ll all learn from this. Bring on next year.

Martin, Paul, Nick, Adam

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: